Here’s the rudder. All of the taping is done and it’s ready to smooth.
I connected several more wires to the 430 today. It has a bunch of them, and it would have been many more if I were using a remote annunciator and indicator. The connectors on the back are divided into the three main functions of the unit- VHF Communication, VHF Navigation, and GPS. The VHF Comm connector uses standard size d-sub sockets, except for the power in. Garmin calls for slightly larger wires on the power inputs for the Comm, so they use these fancy connectors that are a bit longer and allow for the bigger wires. Each of the three connectors includes two power inputs, though I think the duplicates are more for power delivery than redundancy. It was tempting to connect one to the ebus and one to the main bus, but Garmin says that each pair should be connected to the same bus. Some folks connect the two power inputs to a single splice just forward of the connector and then run a single cable to the fuse block. I ran two separate cables all the way to the fuse block and gave each one a fuse.
I connected all of the wires for the GPS function of the 430, which are routed through the high-density D-sub connector with lots of holes. Most of those holes are for functions that I’m not going to need, so that job went pretty quickly. The transponder is all done except for the power feed, since I ran out of that size of wire. I’m trying to minimize my orders to Stein and B&C, but that’s easier written than done. So as of today the 430 GPS wiring is done, the VHF Comm has power only, and the VHF Nav is still empty.