Wing Wiring

Today I finished wiring the D100. The last step was to splice together the DSAB wires, which are the wires that allow the three Dynon units to communicate with one another. I also started working on the wires that run through the wing conduit. I realized that I need to order more cable for the Dynon magnetometer. This is a 4-conductor shielded cable and with the sensor mounted in the wing tip it looks like I’ll need more than 20 feet. Richard had already run the wires for the aeroflash lights, but I wanted to be sure about which one was which. To make this job easier, I used a battery and my voltmeter.

Wire Identification

Wire Identification


I labeled two wires, then taped each one to a battery terminal. On the other end I measured for voltage until I found the corresponding wires. This system works very well as long as there isn’t any risk of a short on the measuring end. While I was working on all of that I heard an airplane flying by. Our little airport doesn’t get a lot of traffic, so it’s always worth stepping outside when someone stops by. It turned out to be a very fancy Maule!
Visiting Maule

Visiting Maule


I took several pictures of a few details, including uphostery and that sort of thing. The weather was perfect, so I started preparing the rudder for covering. This was a simple matter of drilling some drain holes on the aft edge of the horizontal ribs and wiping the structure down with the polyfiber C2210 prep solvent.
I also started wiring for the transponder. It’s a very simple process compared to the Dynon units, and especially compared to the 430, which I’ll start shortly.

Posted on
Hours Logged This Session: 7
Total Hours: 1883.75