Stripes on the Cowl

At this stage of the building process I’m tying up lots of loose ends and checking things off of the to-do list. I started by making a length of coax that will go where I had intended to put the balun in the previous antenna arrangement. I mounted the cabin heat box in the hole that I made last time, and came up with a diffuser to help direct the air down a little bit. I suspect that I’ll want to make something more substantial later, but it may take some testing to decide for sure. To make this version, I started with poster board.

Cabin heat diffuser in paper

Cabin heat diffuser in paper


Then I flattened out the paper and made an aluminum version
Flat aluminum blank

Flat aluminum blank


Then I bent that aluminum blank to shape.
Bent aluminum blank

Bent aluminum blank


This is where it sits:
Ready to drill and rivet

Ready to drill and rivet


After a lunch break I drilled the diffuser and the firewall and installed the diffuser with rivets. I took apart the Vans carb heat flange, since I’m going to need to change the angle of the incoming duct. I made a few holes in the baffles for the rivets that will secure the rubber to the top of the baffles. Later in the afternoon Tabitha came over and helped mask the cowling for stripes.