Still More Fuselage Reassembly

Today I tied up a few more loose ends of wires. I started with the ELT remote. The remote uses a cable that looks just like a phone line. I wanted to shorten it, so I clipped off the old end several months ago. This also made it much easier to fish the cable through grommets on the way back to the ELT. Today I crimped on a new end. Then I returned to the instrument panel and countersunk all of the holes that I drilled yesterday.

Countersinking the Dynon Trays

Countersinking the Dynon Trays


These angles hold the Garmin trays in the panel

These angles hold the Garmin trays in the panel


I riveted the trays to the panel with -4 rivets, then worked on the window frames. I deburred those and started making the covers for the inspection holes in the horizontal stabilizer area.
Front Stab Cover

Front Stab Cover


Right rear stab cover

Right rear stab cover


Both of these will need slots that will allow them to come on and off without removing the horizontal stab. Note from the future: I have since learned how to use a shrinker, and I could have made a nicer inspection panel by shrinking the edge a little. I also wish now that I had made the hole on the right side a little bit further up vertically, and/or made a similar size hole on the other side too. It turned out that connecting the elevator and trim mechanisms was pretty tricky with this arrangement.