Rudder Lacing and Taping

These nice weather days have provided an excellent opportunity to spend some time in the hangar. Here’s the rudder after the first coat of polybrush:

Bearhawk Rudder

Bearhawk Rudder


Rudder Rib Reinforcements

Rudder Rib Reinforcement Tape, 3/8 inch


I finished the rudder rib stitching in about an hour and a half. This is one of those skills that gets faster with experience.
I marked the areas for taping and brushed on the pre-coats of polybrush for the tapes. While that was drying I made a few more wires. Next up are the RS232 wires that connect the transponder to the 430. These cables allow the GPS to tell the transponder when we are moving so that it can automatically transfer between Standby and Mode C.
It was time to get back to the taping:
Rudder Taping in Progress

Rudder Taping in Progress


Rudder Rib Stitching Done

Rudder Rib Stitching Done

The picture above shows the pre-coat areas for the tape, the reinforcing patches around the hinges, and the chordwise tapes.
The next few pictures are documentation for the seat upholsterer. I’ll include them in case you might need them for the same purpose.
Front Seat Area

Front Seat Area


Seat Position Adjustment

Seat Position Adjustment


Outboard Seat Track

Outboard Seat Track


Inboard Seat Track

Inboard Seat Track


The Dynon sensor for manifold pressure has 1/4″ mounting holes. I didn’t want to use heavy 1/4″ bolts to mount it, since the smaller 3/16 bolts would still be very much structural overkill. Also, as I found with the shunts, 1/4″ nutplates are much more difficult to find and work with. I cut some aluminum tube bushings to reduce the hole size and adhered them to the sensor with a little bit of JB Weld
Dynon Manifold Pressure Sensor

Dynon Manifold Pressure Sensor


Dynon Manifold Pressure Sensor Back

Dynon Manifold Pressure Sensor Back


Once the epoxy cures I’ll trim it flush.

Posted on
Hours Logged This Session: 6.7
Total Hours: 1883.75