This morning I spent a while organizing and cleaning up. I connected the rudder cables again, and found a slightly better way to connect the return spring. Instead of having it attach in line with the rudder cable, I drilled an extra hole in the pedal arm and moved the aft attach point down.
In the old configuration the spring was squarely compressed at full rudder deflection, but in this arrangement the spring is able to bend at an angle. This reduces some binding and makes for a more smooth pedal action at full deflection. I measured my remaining stock of control cable and found that I don’t have enough on hand to make the flap cables. I also don’t have enough turnbuckles, since the Wicks kit did not include enough to use turnbuckles in the rudder cables. I can’t really see why the rudder cables need turnbuckles anyway, since the system only has real tension when the pilot puts his feet on the pedals. The cheapest course of action is going to be to remove the existing rudder cables, convert them into flap cables (with the same turnbuckles) and remake a set of continuous rudder cables without turnbuckles. This solution requires purchasing more cable, but not more turnbuckles, which are much more expensive and much heavier than cables.