Reinstalling the Landing Gear

This morning I used a little bit of fuel in a steel bowl to clean the old grease out of the wheel bearings. Then I packed them with fresh Aeroshell grease and put the wheels back together.

Cleaning out the old grease

Cleaning out the old grease


Here's the bearing number in case I need it later

Here’s the bearing number in case I need it later


While I had the wheels in my hand, I checked to be sure that they would fit in the wheel pants that I picked up last summer at Oshkosh.
The tires fit in the wheel pants

The tires fit in the wheel pants


If only it were this easy!

If only it were this easy!


I’ll have to figure out a mounting bracket for them, but I might just wait until after the plane is flying.
With the plane back on its main wheels I pulled off the remaining masking tapes in the fuselage. Then I started working on a few remaining wires in the cabin. I cut out the inspection holes and installed the rear seat intercom jacks. I connected the static ports to a tee fitting in the middle of the fuselage and added some an adel clamp to hold it in place. Then I made an adjustment to where the ELT mounted. It mounts to a little piece of floorboard that sits aft of the cabin on the right side. I moved it as far aft as it would go, then riveted the bracket in place. That bracket had originally been attached with screws.