Painting the Last White

Before painting time I worked on two dangling firewall forward tasks. The firs twas to make a support for the tailpipe where it passes under the firewall. This is totally made up by me, so it may not work. I started with a few inches of angle aluminum. Two holes are matched to the holes that are occupied by screws that connect the tunnel to the firewall. The other two holes are to be occupied by springs. Then I just removed material that wasn’t around the holes.

Rough Cut Angle

Rough Cut Angle


Finished Mount

Finished Mount


I also needed to extend the top of the front baffles a little above the standard Vans height. Since those guys usually use a prop spacer, their cowling is probably a little bit shorter at that station. I started with posterboard extensions, since posterboard is much easier to cut and replace.
Baffle extensions

Baffle extensions


It was really hard to try and match the bends in radius and location, so I made the extensions in pieces.
One side in pieces

One side in pieces


One side done

One side done


Both sides done

Both sides done


Then I mixed up a batch of white paint and sprayed the cowling, the underside of the roof, the door tubes that previously peeled, and the front edge of the horizontal stab root fairings. Those will end up with a tiny triangle of white paint where the stripe continues.