Improving the Nicopress Crimpers

After some consultation with more experienced builders, I found what part of the problem with my cheap nicopress tool is. If you look at this picture, you’ll probably see it too:

Cheap Nicopress Tool

Cheap Nicopress Tool


The outermost contact point on the inside of the jaws is too big. That’s making an air gap between the contact points at the other positions in the die. I used a file to remove enough metal from that spot to allow the dies to finish closing, and the end result was much better. All of test subjects now pass the no-go gauge, so I made the front cable for the left aileron. I replaced a few of the hinge bolts with rivets on the right side, and started going through the right wing to check for proper hardware and torque. In the whole process I only found one bolt that was the wrong size, but it was easy to fix. I started on the right front aileron cable before I had to quit for the day.