This morning I started on the fiberglass windshield fairing. First I applied contact paper to the windshield and boot cowl so that the epoxy wouldn’t stick to the expensive bits. Then I put a nice coat of automotive wax on the contact paper to make sure the epoxy didn’t stick to the inexpensive bits either.
I built up the first part of the fairing with two layers using the technique that Eric and Bob have published in the past. I taped a big trash bag to the table and wet the strips with epoxy. Then I squeegied most of that out with a hotel room key card. Then I put those strips in place and smoothed them out.
After lunch I came back and welded a few more exhaust pipes and sanded another gasket surface.
In the picture above you can see the weld fillets that run parallel to the exhast flow. Bob says that these help support the circumferential weld between the pipe and the flange.