Fairlead Pliers

I started re-installing the control cables today, and after a little bit of trying it became obvious that I was going to need to be able to get the fairlead clips on with the limited access that I had in the fuselage. I came up with the idea of modifying my snap ring pliers so that I could apply a spreading force to the fairlead clip. I installed the removable ends in backwards, as to not damage the end intended for snap rings. I used the bench grinder to flatten the sides, then used the Dremel cut off wheel to cut a little groove into each one.

Fairlead Pliers

Fairlead Pliers


In Action

In Action


I used these, along with a few other tools to re-install the forward part of the flap cable, the elevator cables, and rudder cables. I reinstalled the two triple pulley arrays and torqued their bolts appropriately. While I had the torque wrench out, I also put the ends back onto the right wing strut. On the forward side of the firewall, I started making preparations for the exhaust work. The plate that I was using to support the mixture and throttle was designed to work with a mixture control that has a ball on the end. Since I have made plans to use a mixture with a solid wire end, I don’t really need for the bracket to stick so far aft. This is especially true since the long bracket causes the mixture cable to bend in an unnecessarily tight radius. I started by bending the original mounting flange out of the way. Then I used some poster board to come up with an alternative arrangement. I transferred marks to the bracket and used the reciprocating saw to cut the upper left corner of the bracket off.
Corner Cut

Corner Cut


Corner cut, second view

Corner cut, second view


Then I bent the side around to form a new flange.
Bent side

Bent side


I did a little bit more trimming and grinding to make a tab for the new cable.
Ready to prep and weld

Ready to prep and weld


Then I cleaned the paint off and welded a new bead on the back.
Welded bracket

Welded bracket


Inside view

Inside view


Then I cleaned the area and painted it. I installed the carburetor, and used a gasket on either side of the bracket. I installed the airbox and the ignition harness, and connected the throttle and mixture. I added cotter pins to the main landing gear bolts, except for the top of the shock struts. Those will need to be adjusted when I get everything put together, so in the mean time I ran orange lacing cord through the area where the pin will go, just so that the lack of a pin will be that much more obvious.

Posted on
Hours Logged This Session: 8.4
Total Hours: 1883.75