Today started with a few new parts arrivals. As I mentioned in the entry from a few days ago, I drilled the top oval plate for the filtered air box incorrectly. I wrote about much of today’s work back in that entry, but I’ll include pictures here.
The folks at Pegasus Auto Racing have an adapter that will convert the 1/8″ NPT outlet of the oil pressure sender to a 37-degree flare so that I can attach a hose to it.
In my last version of the FAB top, I cut a big hole to clear the cast lump on the bottom of the carburetor. This made a large slot that came very close to the edge of the FAB top, which was a situation that would likely lead to a crack later on. I read that some RV builders just filed off that section of the casting and didn’t have any trouble as a result.
So that’s what I did too. I used power tools to get it close, then switched to a hand file, then finally to a scotch-brite wheel in the die grinder to polish it smooth. I was especially concerned about damaging the rest of the gasket face, so I worked very carefully. I thought it turned out pretty well!
Even though the new hole in the top is smaller than the old one, there is still a hole for the drain spout. I cut that shape into the new top as I did the last one, by drilling the corners and cutting to connect the dots with the dremel.
Next I cut the angle piece supplied by Vans into 6 1-inch pieces. These make little tabs that hold the filter in place.
Since I have a few bad holes in the thin aluminum to piece, I’ll try and make some adjustments to the filter retainers to help fill them.