Bundling and Securing

I’ve done enough wire tying today to make the sides of my index fingers sore. I started with adding cotter pins to the brake cylinders in the cabin. Then I installed back shells on the instrument panel connectors that didn’t already have them. I added a few more nutplates to the boot cowl area. I secured the pitot and static lines, at least the fuselage portion, and tied up lots of wires. I used mostly wire ties in the big bundles, and for smaller bundles I used the orange lacing cord. I also used a few Adel clamps in areas where they seemed logical.

Wire bundling

Wire bundling


I secured the prop governor control, and added a few more nutplates to the boot cowl metal.
These panels can be attached now with screws.

These panels can be attached now with screws.


Next I started on the “bump” for the stainless tunnel. I needed a bump there to make more clearance for the fuel valve. Since I had a bit of scrap stainless, I figured I’d just give it a try. First, I made a mold out of some 2×4 lumber scrap.
The fly cutter makes the first holes...

The fly cutter makes the first holes…


...then the forstener bit makes for a good flat center

…then the forstener bit makes for a good flat center


I adjusted the fly cutter to slightly smaller radii, then drilled to slightly deeper depths, just eyeballing the shape of the hole. After drilling I took the worst of the ridges off with some very coarse sandpaper. The ball peen hammer also helped. Then I clamped the stainless to the 2×4, and proceeded to beat a dent into it. The first two scrap versions turned out well, so I clamped up the real part and went to town.
From Above

From Above


From Below

From Below


I was quite pleased with the results!

Posted on
Hours Logged This Session: 13.2
Total Hours: 1883.75