Today I moved the fuselage out of the paint booth. In the cool hours of the morning I finished drilling the rear cargo door skin holes to final size (#30) and prepared the rudder and right flap for painting this afternoon.
I also have a new paint gun to try. The previous coats have been with the Graco that came with the HVLP that I was able to borrow. The Graco gun is certainly nice, but is a suction feed cup, which is under the gun. By design, there is quite a bit of unusable paint with each batch. I found a reasonably priced gravity-fed gun to try. It’s sold under the “Sprayfine” brand from Turbine Products. After taking apart the gun, I can see that it is made with less quality when compared to the Graco. This is probably why it sells for so much less. For example, parts on the Graco were plated after machining, but several parts on the Sprayfine were plated and then machined. I deburred a few pieces so that they will be less likely to catch bits of paper towel as I clean the gun.
When it warmed up in the afternoon, I sprayed the blue paint on the rudder and right flap. The left flap wasn’t ready to paint yet because I have to stripe it when I stripe the left wing.