Battery Bus & P-Leads

Today I continued with more wiring. I finished the SD-8 ammeter wiring that I started yesterday, and made a cable for the starter:

Starter Cable

This clear double-wall heat shrink will preserve the label for a while.


I found a covered fuse block to use for the battery bus. Since it is on the engine side of the firewall I was worried about an uncovered block getting dirty. The only thing I don’t like about it is that each fuse feeds separately. To fix this I bent all of the tabs on one side:
Covered Fuse Block Modification

The top row of tabs will become the feed side.


Then I cut a piece of brass into a 1/4 inch strip and rounded the corners a little:
1/4" Brass Strip

This was from the same stock that I used to make the forest of tabs.


Brass Tab

The tab is just a little bit longer than the contacts.


I soldered the brass piece to the bent tabs, very carefully. I was able to get good melting without any of the plastic housing.
Soldered Tab

I also potted the back side of this with high-temp silicone, just to keep out contaminants and prevent shorts.


Next I started working on the P-leads for the mags. These bendix mags use a special terminal end.
Bendix Magneto P-Lead Terminal

This is the stub of the old p-lead terminal.


New kits are available to build the p-leads, but since I have these old ones I’ll just use the parts to make mine. The far right side is a soldered end that includes a small washer. I was able to melt the solder and extract the washer from the old ends. I used shielded wire and connected the shield to a ring terminal and grounded it on one of the screws on the back of the mag housing.

I’ve also been working on the wire conduit in the wing. I cut a notch to allow entry for the Dynon magnetometer cable, but that made a weak spot in the conduit tube. I cut a piece of aluminum tube for reinforcements:
Reinforcement for Plastic Conduit

Half of this tube will make a good reinforcement. I used a reciprocating saw to make the cut, but a bandsaw would have worked well too.


Reinforcement for Plastic Conduit

I roughed up the plastic and aluminum, then attached the reinforcement with JB Weld.


I added rubber grommets to each of the holes in the wing ribs, then reinstalled the conduit.