I’m glad to be back in town for a few days and am looking forward to lots of hours in the hangar. Today was a good start. I started taping the left wing for the upcoming blue paint. I also installed LEMO ANR headset jacks on the panel, since they came in from Bose. I had not intended to install these jacks, but they are very small, light, and cheap, and the prospect of running an ANR headset without batteries is certainly appealing. There isn’t any circuitry involved- it just parallels the audio and mic wiring of the regular jack, and includes a power and ground.
I finished routing the wires for the nose light, at least as far as the firewall. I started tying up the wires behind the instrument panel (or forward of the instrument panel, depending on your frame of reference), but that process is going to take a few days.
I was having a hard time keeping the walls of the paint booth secured to the frame. Tape kept coming off. I remember seeing a magazine blurb about making clamps out of PVC pipe for other purposes, so I figured I would try them here. I started with a scrap of pipe of the same diameter as the frame. I used the table saw to cut a kerf into the pipe lengthwise. Then I sliced off little slivers by making cuts across the pipe. Here is the end result:
These hold the end walls on the frame very well, and they are easy to remove. This will help when it is time to take the wing out of the booth.