Adding Oil to the Engine

While I wait for the new aileron cable to come in, I removed the old cables and used one of the front cables to make a replacement for the left rear. This will allow me to get the flaps on. Doing more things like this helps increase the odds that I’ll find unforeseen errors. Fortunately there weren’t any that turned up with the flaps, which are working well and as expected. I secured the flap turnbuckles at the back of the cabin with safety wire. I still haven’t figured out exactly what happened with the cowl alignment, but somehow the top piece is too long. I drilled the rivets that held the top aluminum panel to the top of the nose bowl, and started to think about how I would be able to adjust. With the cowl off I started preparing to time the mags. I started to remove the spark plugs, and realized that I didn’t have a spark plug socket with me. This gave me an excuse to go visit the other hangar for a little while. Once there, I used my little pneumatic tool engraver to engrave the stainless steel data plate with the information that’s on our registration card. When I got back to our second hangar, I added oil to the sump, one quart at a time. I waited several minutes after each quart, then removed the dipstick to graduate it. Some of the odd jobs that I did while I waited included verifying the torque of the exhaust nuts, torquing and safetying the alternator bolts and prop bolts. In the case of the prop bolts, I used the little prop wrench as an adapter. I calculated the required settings for the torque wrench based on the formulas in AC 43.13 and torqued each bolt to 40 foot-pounds, then to 60. The safety wire was pretty slow going, but after an hour or so it was done. I doubt that it takes an experienced A&P two hours to install a constant-speed prop, but that’s about what it takes me. I added a total of 7 quarts to the sump, and made marks up to 6.